POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mega-Pov or V3.5? : Re: Mega-Pov or V3.5? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:27:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mega-Pov or V3.5?
From: Dave Dunn
Date: 29 Jan 2002 14:17:22
Message: <3C56F507.1F0265E4@aol.com>
Zeger Knaepen wrote:

> Fact is that I love POV-Ray, and I have the deepest respect for the POV-Ray team,
although I
> don't understand some of the things they do (actually only POV3.5)

I think Thorsten and co. would do well to take note of this fact. Comments concerning
excluded
MegaPOV features are generally motivated by the fact that people care deeply about
POV-Ray and
the direction of its development. I find it ironic that there is an "us and them"
mentality
developing between the POV team and users community that previously only existed
between the
POV community and the world of 3D at large. As for my remarks, from a user's
standpoint, I
stand by them, except for a single clarification; astute readers would have realized I
meant
bicubic patch type 2 (Warp, you of all people should have caught this), instead of
mesh 2. And
yes, the patches in type 2, in addition to parsing faster, seemed to make for smoother
objects, with fewer attifacts. Other than that, I still find the excluded features of
value.
This doesn't mean that I don't like, use, or admire 3.5 (I was careful to praise the
features
that were clear improvements). It simply means that I liked some of the things that
were left
out, and I hope that when 3.5 comes out of beta, a new MegaPOV will arise and
development on
these features will continue. Until that time, My POV arsenal will contain a few
different
executables in the bin folder. Simple as that. If the hostility that is perceived by
the POV
development team were real, the dissenters would all be off using Virtualight or
something.
Fact is, speaking for myself, I love POV-Ray and think the team has done a great job.
This
doesn't mean that I am not entitled to my opinion. It would seem that the whole point
of this
news server is to promote a free exchange of ideas, not to be used as a vehicle for
those of
differing views to be shut down by an intolerant stream of abuse.